Geography is a subject that is introduced in Year 5 and the study continues into Year 6. The information covered builds on itself and therefore allows for flexibility in the amount of time and distribution of topics.
The focus of Year 5 is Discovering the World including:
- The Earth in the Solar System
- The hemispheres, Equator and Tropics, latitude and longitude
- Formation and current shape of the continents and oceans
- Earthquakes and volcanoes
- Day and night, time zones, seasons
- Climate zones
- Types of landscapes
- Population of the Earth
The central focus of Year 6 are the topics Germany, Europe and the European Union including politics.